Thursday, March 3, 2011

To Trust...Or Not To Trust

Trust is an interesting thing. 

I have been faced with a couple different scenarios this week regarding trust. People I know not trusting each other. Someone not trusting me. Me choosing to trust...or not to trust in others. Trusting myself and my choices in this life. It's something that we all face on a daily basis. Putting ourselves out there. Letting our hearts be vulnerable to one another. Taking that risk without knowing exactly what the outcome will be. It can be a scary thing sometimes. BUT...

"You must trust and believe in people, or life becomes impossible"
"Deciding whether or not to trust a person is like deciding whether or not to climb a tree, because you might get a wonderful view from the highest branch, or you might simply get covered in sap, and for this reason many people choose to spend their time alone and indoors, where it is harder to get a splinter"
"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough"
"Without trust there is nothing"
"Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart"
"We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy"
"The key is to get to know people and trust them to be who they are, not who we want them to be"
"The best proof of love is trust"
"Trust is letting go of needing to know all the details before you open your heart"

Learn to trust yourself. To listen to truth. To not be afraid of it. And to not try and hide it. This is somewhat challenging at times...but without it we cannot truly love. At least not in a real way. And not in the way God wants us to love. 



15 comments:

  1. Wow. God speaks to us in mysterious ways. I needed to read that. Badly. We should hang soon. I miss you tons. & I need to find a Bible Study to get myself in to. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome! i think so often we are afraid to trust people, or even ourselves, because we are afraid of getting hurt. we use it as a kind of defense mechanism because it would just be easier not to trust someone rather than put ourselves out there and risk being rejected or hurt. in actuality most of the time we loose out on what other people are trying to teach us or what God is showing us. thanks so much for the sweet reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. without trust we cannot truly love. WOW. Dawning of a revelation. May this be my prayer for I wish to love completely. Thank you hun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust is like eating nuts- once in a while you get a bad one, but you just keep eatn em anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Charity! Trust is something that I struggle with so much. I love that quote about needing to trust people for who they are not what we want them to be. I'm always trying to make people into what I want them to be or what thru should be for versus just letting them be them. I'm really excited to get to know you more and hang out outside of our Saturday night roundtables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Learn to trust yourself. To trust the Truth.". Wow. That really hit me. Thank you Charity! I can't wait to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've been thinking about trust a little bit lately too. the general conclusion i've come to is this: it is ALL we can do to take people at their word. if they choose to deceive us, so be it. if we choose not to trust, it only lends toxic elements to our relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing. Trust is a huge thing for me too. I have been hurt too many times to not have it in the back of my mind. Thanks for sharing this bc it gives a new perspective.

    btw I can't wait for you to cut my hair! I can't stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find myself trying to control so many aspects of my life. But I'm learning to die to myself. To really...die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trust can be so hard. I am on the same journey of learning to trust myself and other people and God. I am comforted in the fact that we can trust God and know that He will never fail or let us down :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oy trust. why is it such a hard thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete