Saturday, February 5, 2011

Back to the "grind"...but in a new way!


This is my sitting in Starbucks, pondering my week type of face. And I just bought these crazy looking glasses and wanted to see if it makes me look smarter, more intelligent, more sophisticated, etc...thus the reason for this photo. Does it work? LOL =) I'm thinking not so much.

Anywho...the title for this post being back to the "grind" is because I have officially started working again this week for the first time in about a year! Most of last year I was in school full-time, and then since graduating in November I have been on somewhat of a vacation for the last 2 and 1/2 months. I have very much enjoyed having that time to focus on my education, and to follow God's leading in this new career path of mine. God uprooted me from my previous accounting job last year...provided the financial means for me to go through school to pursue a passion of mine, and I am now a licensed Cosmetologist. I began my first week of work in the salon as a hairstylist this past Wednesday!

It is back to the "grind", but in a completely new and exciting way! I made the choice a few years back that I wanted to wake up every morning not dreading going into work, but excited, passionate about what I do, and knowing that I have the opportunity each day to invest into the lives of others in some way. This career as a hairstylist isn't just about the physical, materialistic, how you look on the outside type of influence as most people see it. I look at it as a way of putting myself in front of people every day for God to use me however He chooses. Loving them in any way that I can, serving them in ways that hopefully build their confidence, being an ear to listen and hopefully a positive voice in their lives. All my life I've wanted to be in a position where I'm serving God with everything that I am. I used to think that that meant I was supposed to work in some form of full-time ministry within the church. But now I have realized that this is my ministry. Something as simple as someone entrusting me with their hair can lead to all sorts of open doors. And I'm super stoked to walk through each and every opportunity that God puts in my path!!

I am so beyond grateful for God's provisions, faithfulness, love, and for everything that He is. I couldn't live this life without Him!

14 comments:

  1. A lot of people I know wake up and dread work so the fact that you made that decision is sweet. Keep it up because that is such a great way to look at it. God can do amazing things when we stand back and ask him to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl. you look like a genius. straight up einstein style !
    I love that God has opened up doors for you to step into His calling for your life. What an amazing journey it will be and you are beginning the journey with an attitude of a servant who is grateful for life God has given you. Praising Him with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You have a new mission field! That's so great you are willing to be used by Christ, for his glory. Excited to see what happens, even in these first few days of your new career! Congrats, and keep the glasses, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I used to think that that meant I was supposed to work in some form of full-time ministry within the church. But now I have realized that this is my ministry. Something as simple as someone entrusting me with their hair can lead to all sorts of open doors. And I'm super stoked to walk through each and every opportunity that God puts in my path!!"

    I think this section sums up one of the huge mis-conceptions by our church culture today, and offers perfect clarity on moving beyond it. Walking through each and every opportunity God puts in our path is our calling, and our ministry. I am so excited to see what Kingdom stories come out of simply living your life faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome Charity. I am so happy that you are enjoying going to work. I am glad that you have found your ministry. I know God will put many heads in your pathway that you will be able to be a part of making their life better, not just because you cut their hair, but because you will be showing them the Jesus in you that is very strong. God bless you (Myra)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool. You are reaping what you've sown & what your family/friends have sown into you. You make us proud parents & we are so glad you are a great witness/example to those you minister to. But don't rule out church ministry.......your gift of music/worship will also be used. never say never :P
    ps u rock the glasses- looks like you stole them from a nearby tech geek

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!! And don't worry Mom...I would never rule out church ministry. I will be involved in the church til the day I die. Using my gifts and talents to the best of my ability. I was only referring to that fact that I won't be doing it within the church "full-time". But if down the road God opens the door for me to do that then of course I would!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! And I need a hair cut :) Can we set up an appointment? Please! I have dreaded going into work all week. Its been a roller-coaster lately to say the least. I know God is going to use my position for great things, but its painful right now. What to do, what to do but pray and seek His will. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brave, so brave! The courage to choose NOT to be stuck in dread, ahhh, totally a good example of really trusting Jesus with the details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 30+ minutes with someone pretty one-on-one, and often on a semi-regular basis. You might have just found the most effective example of full-time ministry.

    In all seriousness, you've latched onto one of the most eye-opening facts of our faith. It's not something we do in specific spheres of life (cirlces, if you will), but every sphere of our life is reoriented toward this our life in Christ.

    Oh...and the glasses defintiely work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need an appointment. It would be a blessing to me for sure. I will be in touch,

    ReplyDelete
  12. so great! congrats to you! people strive to find their "niche" and you've found it! and its so true... everything we do and everywhere we go is a ministry for Jesus! and you get PAID for it! that's a fun bonus! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's awesome how you've found what you want to do! A completely different kind of mentality in that line of work, for sure. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome...love it! And since we are apparently living parallel lives (and have been apparently since we were born!!!)...I'm super excited to be on this journey with you! Praying for your new work life!

    ReplyDelete