Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Am I worshipping God or my "idea" of Him?

Just a few highlights in my life since my last post!


Trip to Disneyland with my favorite little 2yr old Skylar Grace. I currently live with one of my best friends Stacy, and this is her little girl. To her I am known as "Auntie" and every time she calls me that my heart melts! It was her first time meeting Tinkerbell(her favorite right now) and I have to say, I didn't know going to Disneyland with a 2yr old would be so much fun!!! Well maybe not EVERY 2yr old lol...but this one brings me great joy =) Seeing her face light up when she met her favorite characters, watching her hug and squeeze them and not let go...these moments are priceless!


Snowboarding trip to Snow Valley with my friend Travis and a group of people from Rock Harbor Church. Thanks to Cameron McCartey for setting this trip up and being my snowboard instructor for the day. As well as Travis who stuck by my side, gave be continuous bits of advice, and watched me fall all day long. LOL! I have technically been snowboarding for a few years now, but only once or twice a year, and in the completely incorrect way. If you are a snowboarder and know what a "falling leaf" is(basically only riding using the back edge of my board)...that's about the extent of my snowboard skills. So I went into this trip with a challenge to myself to learn how to carve correctly. Quite a few falls and a couple of bruised knees later I can say I have made some definite progress =) Still have a ways to go though. I will keep pressing on!!


Then upon returning from snowboarding I immediately went to Rock Harbor for our weekly Circles discussion. I have thoroughly enjoyed the connections and friendships that are beginning to form here! Bringing 30 people together every week who all have an intense desire to grow together in Christ, that in itself will create a wonderful sense of community. But then when you begin to know people on a more individual level it only enhances that relationship. For instance, two examples off the top of my head that stand out. Dannah Christensen and I have quite the similarities. We share a love for surfing, the outdoors, music, that sort of thing. Both of us are on the road to becoming hairstylists after working jobs that left us completely unfulfilled, and realizing we weren't on the path God had laid out for us. I'm super excited to get to know her more and to use our gifts and talents together in ways that bring people hope, joy, and untimately give glory to our heavenly father!! Also, I have met Blair Bradberry and discovered that we are "southern soul" sisters!! Both born in Alabama, but lack a southern accent because we were mostly raised in the midwest, and now our lives have brought us both here. We share a heart for southern culture. Similar story in those aspects but I can imagine in others we are quite different. She went to college at University of Georgia...I never even attended a 4yr college. I spent a few years after high school in a small but intense bible/ministry training school. She attended Harvard for grad school...I spent 9 months and just recently graduated from Beauty School. She works as a college counselor...I am a hairstylist. But it is a BEAUTIFUL thing!! We speak the language of Fried Okra and Sweet Tea =) Our common ground thus far is first and foremost our heart to live our lives for Christ and his glory, and also our love for the south! If we hadn't chosen to make God our priority in the midst of our crazy lives we may have never met. But I'm glad we did and that we all have a chance to grow together over the next 8 months!


Wrapping up my thoughts here I just want to leave you with this. My father posted this quote on his facebook a few days ago, and it's been on my heart and mind ever since.
"Do I worship God or do I worship my experience of God? Do I worship God or do I worship my idea of Him? If I am to avoid an ego-centric approach to "spirituality" that takes me from "experience" to "experience" hoping for "deeper" and "better" things, I must know what I believe apart from the feelings that may or may not accompany such a belief!"
In this walk of life we experience highs and lows. Great times and tough times. Times of excitement and times of dullness. Times of growth and times of stagnancy. Times of joy and times of turmoil. Times of accomplishments and times of failure. These are all feelings that are a result of experiences we go through. But I love this quote because it challenges me to not live for the "feeling". No matter where I am in life whether it is good or bad, what I believe should remain constant. I worship him because of who He is, not because of how I feel. God does not waiver. God is God always. God is good in all things. God is faithful. God loves me. God has my life in his hands. 100% of His Word is true and right. And if my worshipping him is based on feelings that occur or circumstances that happen in my life...then in reality I was worshipping my "idea" of him rather than who his word says that He is. We are imperfect humans living in an imperfect world filled with a sinful nature, and God loves us anyway. My belief in who He is must stand firm through thick and thin...otherwise I don't think I can say that I really believed in Him at all. Only my idea of him.

12 comments:

  1. Wisdom from your 20s. Can't wait to see what you have in your 30s & 40s :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity this is so thought provoking. I think that it is always great to remember that God is constant. I think that if we begin to almost "use" God based on our feelings, it's almost like a vice, rather than a relationship. Instead we need to lean on who He is and that should suffice. I love this idea and I think this is so vital to remember in our walks with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for you to be making friends in circles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever decide to give snowboarding a try again you'll have to help me get past my own "falling leaf" syndrome!

    Great thoughts here, Charity. I often think the same thoughts, particularly during worship. "Am I focused on the worship experience—the music, the emotion, the intensity of the corwd— or am I focused steadfastly on him?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This goes with your other post as well. I have had lyrics by Brooke Fraser running through my head constantly: "Real love is hard love."

    Love is work and is a choice. Choose to worship God despite my feelings and my day. Choose to sing despite my circumstances and my unseeing eyes. Choose to love my family. Choose to be patient, kind, unselfish, and forgive. And when I fail, accept His grace and choose to love again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for southern soul sisters! I feel the same way, and can't wait to get to know you better over the next 8 months! I think Saturday evening could be the night to get fried okra and sweet tea...sounds like Bayley might be in too :) Also...I love your Dad's post. Just recently, I did a bible study on the Names of God...it was so eye-opening b/c His names are a reflection of His character, and that NEVER changes. While our feelings fluctuate and change, God remains the same. And there is so much comfort in knowing that we serve a God who is unchanging! Love that! :) See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the process of relishing our similarities while learning from our differences. The great thing about a group like this, is not only shared goals, but a variety of experience that, when clustered together becomes mutually beneficial to the whole group.

    Thanks for the post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing all of this! So cool and encouraging to hear of the friends and connections you are making through Circles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this so much. Cannot wait to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was an extremely intelligible post. It enabled me to re-evaluate my reasons for giving Christ praise. I often find myself in this "I'll scratch your back, you scratch my back" form of Christendom. I catch myself, subconsciously thinking "ok Jesus you went to the cross for me, now I'll live the way you want me to." As if the creator of the cosmos is less fulfilled when I live in a manner which is contradictory to his perfect and ultimately good nature. I'm finding that He is comfortable with Himself with or without me, and yet He still chooses to love my unconditionally. I deeply enjoyed this post because it confirmed that I ought not go to Christ for anything but Himself. He fulfills all and He alone is more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete