Friday, January 21, 2011

CIRCLES!!!

New and exciting things are beginning! =) I now have the opportunity to become a part of a ministry called "Circles" at Rock Harbor Church. One of the requirements while I am involved in this ministry is to write a blog post once a week. You will see myself and my fellow "Circles" members commenting and discussing things that have been written. Please feel free to jump in with us and allow us to hear your thoughts. We are all here to grow together and learn from each other. At the bottom of this post I will be introducing myself so that those who are in "Circles" can get to know a little about who I am as we start this journey together. For those of you who normally follow my blog you probably already know this stuff about me...but maybe you'll learn something new =) And in case you are interested...a brief explanation of the heart and purpose behind "Circles" goes something like this.


Why the name Circles? It refers to a group with shared goals, interests, and expectations. The goal is that us participants will come to see that all the various circles that we are involved in...college, careers, sports, church, family, friends, relationships, etc...are actually encircled by the priorities of discipleship. Every thought, word, deed, and attitude has equal value as potential glory for God. Jesus is the center and every aspect of our lives is equally close to his heart, and capable of advancing His agenda.
The Sheepdog Analogy: Much of this program will involve circling around our lives and the lives of one another to keep us focused and purposefully on track. Much like a sheepdog circling a flock, the leadership will circle the lives of us participants as a way to direct us. And we in turn will circle each other in accountability, and ourselves in order to keep every aspect of our lives directed.
Spiritual growth is a cycle. As a growing believer we will never “arrive” at perfection until Christ Himself perfects us. In the meantime, discipleship is a constant cycle of Listening, Thinking, Creating, Acting, Evaluating, Making Adjustments, and then starting the whole process over again. This circle of constant growth is a mark of the healthy disciple. The Biblical model of discipleship involves a constant cycle of receiving wisdom, direction, and love from an older disciple and then replicating that to a disciple younger than you. This cycle perpetuates discipleship into future generations, and is a responsibility not an option. This Circle of Mentorship is what we are here to accomplish and apply to our everyday lives!!!


I am looking forward to getting to know each and every one of you who are gonna be a part of "Circles" for the next 8 months. A little bit about myself. I'm 27yrs old, originally from Ohio, but since graduating high school I've lived anywhere from Arizona, to Florida, to moving here to Cali 4yrs ago. I love my family with all of my heart, and have been very fortunate to be raised in a loving, Christian environment. My sister is 3yrs younger than me and lives in Nashville, TN. I love her dearly. She is quite possibly one of the most talented people I know, and with God's guidance and her allowance for Him to move within her, I believe her opportunities are endless. My dad has worked in ministry as a Pastor, Worship Leader, you name it, for my entire life, so church has become like a second home to me. He has set a great example of what leadership looks like in my life. My mother is a walking testimony of what it means to be a Proverbs 31 woman, and she is the most unselfish person I know. My parents will celebrate their 30th anniversary of marriage this year, an example that I will strive to follow whenever God begins that phase of my life.
My life over the last 10yrs since graduating high school has been full of many twists and turns. Some people are afraid of change, but in my life it has proven to be worthwhile. I don't like to limit myself to only what I'm familiar with. I spent about 5yrs immediately after high school being a part of a ministry program/bible school called Master's Commission. Although I've pretty much been a Christian my whole life, that is when I really began to grow into my own relationship with Christ. There are plenty of stories to tell about that experience, so if you are interested feel free to ask. I've never attended a typical 4yr college, never felt like that was the path that God intended for me to go down. After finishing bible school I felt like God was moving me here to California. At the time my parents were living out here, so I moved in with them while figuring out what was next for me. Long story short, I went through a couple years where I was testing out the "business world" so to speak. Worked a office job, sales job, accounting job, made pretty decent money and was living really comfortably for a single girl in Southern California. But it didn't take very long for me to realize that that satisfaction would only last for a season. I love people, working with them, being a part of their lives, etc...and sitting behind a desk everyday doing accounting was NOT where I was meant to be. When you aren't doing what you love to do, and aren't using the gifts that God has given you, you're left feeling unfulfilled. There are two things that I have always had a love and passion for. One is being creative with music, and the other is being creative with hair. So I decided to stop working jobs that I had absolutely no interest in...and pursue a dream of mine. I began Cosmetology school full time last March, and in November, 8 and 1/2 months later I graduated. I took my test with the state of California at the beginning of this month and I am now officially licensed to be a hairstylist! It's amazing when God opens doors and you begin to step into your destiny =)
Apart from school and work I spend my time doing a wide array of things. I am currently a youth leader at Saddleback Church Irvine campus. I have a passion for high school students and love being a listening ear and letting God use me to be a positive voice in their lives. I work along side a couple people overseeing the Worship Band of that youth ministry as well. Like I mentioned earlier, music is a huge passion of mine, and there is nothing greater in my eyes than using music and lyrics in order to worship our Heavenly Father. We were created to love and worship Him! As far as hobbies go I love going to hear live music, the beach, surfing, hiking, snowboarding, pretty much any outdoor activity, game nights, watching a good movie, crocheting(yes I'm aware that's kinda grandma-ish. I'm ok with that!). I'm a pretty positive person in general. You will rarely see me without a smile on my face. I just don't find very many things in life that are worth taking away my joy.


The most important part of my life is my relationship with God. He is the reason I'm here on this earth and I live every day in an attempt to pursue His will and purpose for my life. I decided to join "Circles" because I believe so strongly in these values that it enforces.
Holiness – Being set apart and devoted to God’s purposes, because He is Holy. (1 Peter 1:3-16)
Honesty – Real transformation cannot occur apart from truth. (Psalms 15)
Honor – We were created to worship. God’s glory is the ONLY goal. (Matthew 5:13-16)
Help – The life of a disciple is the life of a servant. (Matthew 25:31-46/ 1 John 3:17)
I'm looking forward to getting to know each and every one of you and am excited to walk this journey with you guys over the next 8 months!! I believe God has amazing things in store for us as we focus on keeping Him our priority!!


Loving Him,
Charity

14 comments:

  1. This is a great overview, introduction, and explanation to people who are already tracking your posts. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darin! It was kind of challenging trying to "sum it up" since there are so many aspects of Circles...so it's good to hear from "the big guy" (yeah that's you) that I did it justice! LOL =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity- I really enjoyed reading this blog! I can't wait to get to know you better! Also I absolutely love the overall design of this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great introduction Charity! I have to admit that I naturally am hesitant when it comes to change, so I really admire your adventurous and courageous nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so awesome.... reading through your story, i see a lot of similarities with my own! we haven't met in person but i enjoyed "meeting" you online!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys!! And no that wasn't a fat joke Darin! LOL. "the big guy" in my world means "the one in charge" =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN to ---> "When you aren't doing what you love to do, and aren't using the gifts that God has given you, you're left feeling unfulfilled."

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhhh! I'm so excited to meet you. It was so refreshing to hear your heart for your family and the amazing examples they have been for you. I aim to be a Proverbs 31 woman, but its just a constant strive towards it, you know?! I actually am an accountant, so ironic, right? lol, but its what God has gifted/created me to be for this time in my life. I am glad that you got out of it and are finding your true happiness :) And hi, I haven't found a hair stylist since moving to Southern California, maybe we can work something out? lol :) I always have wanted to go to beauty school. Thanks for a great into!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like we have lots in common-love for Jesus, hair, surfing, music! ah! so exciting! i have been going over to hoag hospital talking hair and wigs and painting nails-just hanging with some women in the oncology wing. maybe if you have time, you can join sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um...so wow. What a great summary of what Circles is meant to be...what it WILL be. I'm hoping the boarding trip this weekend is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey charity thanks so much for that video! youre voice is amazing....... and it was so encouraging because thats what it all strips down to... his grace, love and Himself covers us. the enemy will do whatever he can to make us get sidetracked from the pure, raw reality that Gods love overflows every part of us. thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Charity. Love the way you explained Circles. It made me understand it a little better. I love how positive you are and the immense love you have for our Lord and I love the scripture you placed at the end. I like your positivity and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved everything about this post. Super encouraging and made me pumped to see your passion displayed all throughout the post. So amped to be apart of this community and to let it all unfold before our eyes. My fav part of this post was, "Every thought, word, deed, and attitude has equal value as potential glory for God". I believe in this 100% and try to have the same mindset everyday. So great.

    ReplyDelete