Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gods truth...or the worlds lies??

I was recently listening to an album of a favorite band of mine from back when i was in high school called Plumb. Rummaging through my mountainous pile of chord sheets I pulled out their song "CandyCoatedWaterdrops" and sat down to play it on my guitar. Something about the lyrics this time jumped out at me, and I really started thinking about a few things. Just thought I would share a little of what my interpretation from this song is.

I get so inspired when I hear songs with lyrics that point me toward reality. The songs that inspire me to be a better person. The artists who aren't just here for their own fame and fortune, but who are a positive influence in this world. It puts a big smile on my face =) I'm not going to write out all these lyrics...although each part of the song I think has many great messages and I would recommend looking them up and reading them for yourself if you want. But, I just want to point out a few that stood out to me.

""What is this mass confusion, this crazy way we're living....This emptiness we're passing out, like candy coated waterdrops". My interpretation. Our lives becomes stressful, crazy, confusing at times...filled with "things" to occupy our minds, hearts, and souls..yet at the end of the day we are still left feeling empty. Why is that? We have "candy coated water drops" all around us. Things that on the outside seem desirable, sweet, and at the moment may feel good...but when you get past the surface nothing is completely fulfilling. It lacks substance. The job isn't all you thought it was cracked up to be. The relationship is losing its flame. Friends or family let us down and hearts get broken. Our expensive cars, houses, toys, clothes, etc just aren't cutting it. Things don't turn out to be what we expected so we are left disappointed, unfulfilled and empty. And unfortunately, most of the time we are to blame. Our expectations towards all of these things are unrealistic. We are putting our hopes in humans, in careers, in possessions..and not in The One who will never leave us nor forsake us.

"When nothing means everything, your daily routine...you go through the motions, like a helpless machine. If the world stopped spinning, If the end was beginning...would you even notice if I wasn't there" My interpretation. Plain and simple. The things in our lives that seem like "everything" to us...most of the time are really "nothing" in the big picture of things. But it's hard for us to be "big picture" oriented. We live in a world of instant gratification. We do our same thing day after day, live fairly comfortable, and our lives become like clockwork. A machine. But although it's familiar...we aren't fulfilled. And until we realize one thing we never will be. God does not intend for our lives to be lived this way. The worlds plan for us is nothing even close to what God desires. He has placed us on this earth for a time...and lets not forget that that time will be up. And when it is...will you have placed your hopes in this world...or in God. This world perishes...but God's plan for us is everlasting. For Eternity.

Listen to what our God says about this:

1 John 2:15-17 - The Message
"Don't love the world's ways. Don't love the world's goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world—wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important—has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out—but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity."

Below is a video of this song. I hope somehow that this post inspires you to be thankful for the many blessings that God has given us here on this earth...but also inspires the reality of the "bigger picture". Wanting God enough to let him interrupt our daily routine!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post chitty!! A great reminder of what truly matters in this life & how we need to take the time to be still and know that He is Lord. The business not only pulls us away from Him, but it somehow let's us feel that we are in control & in His place so we rub down empty paths chasing unfufilling things. Thank you for this post, what a great reminder:) Love u! -Trisha

    ReplyDelete